About the project
- United Kingdom
- October 2022 - January 2023
Gut Stuff is an easy-to-use application that assists users in understanding their gut health, seeking advice, and forming healthy habits through gut lessons, gut goals, gut cooking methods, and much more.
Twins, Lisa and Alana Mcfarlane grew up sharing a lot of the same features. But after taking part in research at King’s College in London, the duo found out that despite sharing 100% of the same DNA, their guts shared only 30–40% of the same microbiota. This explained why their bodies behaved so differently and it led them on a fascinating journey of, well, everything gut!
Today the Gut Stuff team is on a mission to help empower anyone to change their gut health based on their unique needs and lifestyle. As part of this, the team wanted to create an application that educated users on their gut health, while also acting as a service to those seeking advice, personal health tips, and more.
Following the creation of a proof-of-concept, the Gut Stuff team connected with JetRockets in order to develop a minimal viable product (MVP) for the platform and quickly.
The main task was to create an electronic diary, or Gut Tracker, in which users can record data about the state of their stomach, the food they consume, and their physical exercise.
“We didn’t have anyone on our team with expertise in this field so JetRockets were amazing in listening to our vision and helping us create our MVP in a very quick amount of time. Implementing our ideas with efficiency and accuracy. The team was on hand at any time of the day to answer questions, and communication was excellent.”
CMS — Leveraging the client’s brand book, JetRockets built an attractive and responsive application, using a custom-built CMS to provide an easy-to-use content management interface.
When users first join Gut Stuff, they are met with a short quiz that allows them to build a user profile and create their own goals.
Understanding that health and gut needs are different for every individual, we created profile settings that allow users to change or alter goals based on their unique circumstances. And as user feedback is vital to the Gut Stuff Team, we also implemented a contact form and FAQs section where users can find and provide more information of their choosing.
As Gut Stuff is both a personal and educational health platform, the articles module is home to where users can search and read articles of their choosing and receive tips and advice on gut health.
This easy-to-navigate tracker enables users to track their food, hydration, mood, poop and even explores how they feel overall. The tracker helps users understand how their body works and will give them a great tool to spot good or bad patterns.
The tracker assists users in understanding if they’re experiencing any symptoms and how much physical activity they are participating in. Additionally, users can view important gut health data via reports emailed to them and viewed on their laptop or mobile device.
Log your meals and snacks by searching for what you’ve eaten that day, plus the quantities, and our calculators will do the rest of the work after.
You will need to manually add variety points when entering your food; you get the point for each plant per week (this includes vegetables, fruits, whole grains, pulses, legumes, nuts, and seeds.) If you have already logged, say, a banana in that week (mon-sun), you don’t get another point, but you DO get different points for different colors ie red pepper, yellow pepper, green pepper, orange pepper = 4 gutilicious points!
We implemented these categories for daily tracking:
- Poo — Allows users to track their poo each day.
- Water — Let users track their water usage throughout the day.
- Stress — Enables users to input their stress levels to track throughout their gut health journey.
- Food — Where users can log their meals and snacks, edit their quantities, and utilize the platform’s calculator to log their calories.
- Exercise — Enables users a place to log and track their daily physical activity.
- Me Time — This is where users can input something they did for themselves on any given day that doesn’t necessarily have to do with their gut health journey.
- Sleep — Offers users a place to track the hours they slept at night.
- Symptoms — Let users document symptoms they may experience whenever they occur.
- Gratitude — This is where users can create and reflect on things they hold an appreciation for and alter as they see fit.
- Things I Discovered About My Gut — Whether users have specific challenges with their gut or not, this section is excellent for logging any patterns users have discovered or anything they’ve identified in their gut health journey in order to assist users in further understanding their bodies.
The Gut Stuff application provides various lessons designed to educate users on the basics of gut health science so they can put their goals into practice as well as form new healthy habits.
Gut Stuff is not only designed to teach users about their gut health but the platform was built to help users achieve their individual goals. This feature enables users to create, store, and edit their goals and reference their personal growth as often as needed.
The application also provides recipes and how-to tips to help users create healthier eating habits. This is where users can discover healthy dishes to cook and track their daily scores using nutritional information in the recipe, get storage advice, and ensure they’re eating well.
*You can also buy the product (healthy bars) through the app’s integration with the website.
Push notification notifies users when:
- A new or updated article is shared
- The weekly report is sent out
- If a user hasn’t accessed the app in a long time period
- If a user hasn’t filled in their data to the GutTracker
Today, Gut Stuff offers users a way to get to understand their gut and how to take care of it properly. The platform enables individuals to set and meet their personal goals and assists users in making the jump from following fad diets to living an informed, healthy lifestyle.
You can join the waitlist to be the first to access gut health at your fingertips with the Gut Stuff platform today!
Going from Project to Partner
Gut Stuff and JetRockets are already planning for our next collaboration to develop the second version of the Gut Stuff platform, in which we’ll be focusing on:
- Community features
- Push notification strategy
- Full launch
- 121 referral clinic and additional marketplace features
“Everyone was super passionate about the project and even the CEO came on calls to discuss developments. We had a great experience and product, and we look forward to working with JetRockets on an ongoing basis.”
The Gut Stuff mobile app MVP technology stack:
We use the latest versions of libraries and frameworks unless otherwise specified. When a new version of a library/framework is released, we will also update it on the project (maybe not immediately, if the update has broken backward compatibility).
Ruby on Rails
Team: 18 people
- 2 UX/UI Designers
- 3 PMs
- 2 QA
- 4 Back End Developers
- 3 Front End Developers (mobile)
- 1 Front End Web Developer
- 3 DevOps